The Australian Ministry of Home Affairs, Department of immigration has arranged for a special via for students wishing to pursue a course of their choice in the country. We know this visa as the Student Visa Subclass 500. With the aid of this visa, a student can take part in an eligible course of study in an Australian institute of education.
It also permitted them to bring one family member with them, apply online within or from outside the country, work within a time limit; They can obtain the list from the web resource. If required, there is a provision of extending the Student Visa Subclass 500 for the student. Let us know more about it.
The primary conditions for fulfilment
Before the authority considers an extension, it is necessary to check whether all the conditions of Visa Subclass 500 has been met or not. The ministry provides in-depth checks on this matter, and any evidence of deviation from the legal norm can attract a penalty. Here are the most basic conditions listed by the Ministry of Immigration:
- As mentioned earlier, the student has to be enrolled in an appropriate course of study in Australia.
- The applicant must have an Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC) or be qualified in one of another exemption categories.
- The applicant must have their age equal to or above 6 years.
- If the applicant is aged under 18 years, then he or she must under a welfare arrangement.
- While staying in Australia, the applicant must hold a substantive visa like:
- Subclass 403 or Temporary Work visa in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream.
- Subclass 426 or Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa
- Subclass 771 or Transit Visa
- Subclass 600 or Visitor visa in the Approved Destination Status stream or Sponsored Family stream.
However, qualifying for one substantive visa will negate any other visa already in effect. These are the points the applicant have to check while going through the Student Visa 500 Checklist.
The Extension of Visa Subclass 500
The procedure of visa application is not complex, but someone must follow precisely it. There are several scenarios in which an extension may be considered, namely;
- A research application that has been extended.
- A fresh course of study.
- The post-grad thesis has been submitted to the academic bodies, but the visa will expire before the marking is complete.
- They have extended the course but the visa will expire before we completed it.
The method of application will have to mirror the Student Visa Subclass 500 Conditions as per the requirements.
There is no provision of automatic extension of a visa subclass 500 for a candidate. However, if you cannot return to your home country because of the reasons mentioned above, you can avail the following way to legally stay in Australia:
- Apply again for a student visa
- Apply for a visitor visa.
The situation and the future works of the candidate will be the decisive factor in this facet. If the applicant is trying to continue his or her studies, then re-applying or a student visa will be the logical choice. If the candidate is thinking of returning to his or her home country after the suspension of their studies, then the application for a visitor visa will be more feasible. However, the applicant will lose the provision to work.
- Delays in access
Like all the government procedures, certain roadblocks may increase the Student Visa 500 Processing Time, some of which are listed below:
- Additional information like Biometrics and English language results delayed.
- Deferrals in getting appointments for medical checks.
- Issues in accessing information in the portals like Immi Account or VEVO. However, they can be used interchangeably.
The ministry usually provides additional time in the application processes to account for these delays. In case of an already expired visa, there is always the provision of a Bridging Visa to stay legally in the country. This is also helpful in sorting any problem or resolve any immigration issues. So, it is better to have enough time so that arrangement of paperwork and processing can be done properly.
The Methods of Visa Subclass 500 Extension
The candidate can apply from outside Australia or from inside the country, and the process is slightly different. Upon application of a valid visa onshore, it will award the candidate a Bridging Visa A or BVA. This will allow the applicant to stay in the country while the visa is being processed. Usually, the process of application for the extension is like a fresh application and is performed as follows;
- The applicant will need a certificate of enrolment (CoE) from the course-providing institution and arrange for an Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC). The end date will have to be extended till the end date of the new visa.
- After that, they can arrange the paperwork for the application. The list may change according to the requirement of the education provider and the reason for the application. They can list the list of documents required to accompany the application as;
- A licensed copy of your birth certificate
- Passport ID page and copies of pages with an Australian immigration stamp.
- CV/ Resume
- CoE or a letter from your institute/ university in case waiting for the marking of a thesis.
- Matrimonial documentation, if related
- Migration agent form 956, if required
- Parental consent, if under 18 years old
- OSHC policy number, with policy dates matching the visa
- A personal statement identifying the reasons for study extension, conditional home, the situation in Australia, and the importance of the course.
- Next, documents specifying the financial support to cover the expenses and course fees are to be collated.
- Then, the candidates will need to lodge their application from their specific Immi Account and pay the required fees.
Even after application and approval from the Ministry, some other checks and information may be sought from the ministry. It is best to keep a close eye on your communication channel and answer the query within the stipulated time to enjoy quick and timely Visa 500 services.
After knowing the eligibility criteria and the aspects to consider a consultant so in order to extend your student visa subclass 500, you can reach any MARA registered visa agent Adelaide. They are always updated with the latest immigration changes and extension process. For more details, you can call migration experts at any moment.